Thursday, April 23, 2015

Around the World With Starwood Hotels in 30 Days - Days 13 and 14 Cheat Days with Friends in Velen, Germany

     In Grade Eleven back in High School in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, we had a German exchange student come to my small school.  In a very round about way we discovered that her mother and my father had mutual acquaintances and family friendships that had gone on for decades.  Berit and I quickly picked up this tradition and we have visited each other countless times in various countries over the twenty-one years we have been friends.  Though there is no Starwood Hotel involved in these two days of my trip, it should not discount the wonderful time I had in the small town of Velen near Munster, where Berit’s company is based.  The wonderful hospitality of Berit’s partner and of Berit’s mother, and the scenic beauty in the town made for a wonderful two days.  We spent one day in Dusseldorf walking around and shopping with a great lunch in the large Japanese quarter, and the next day stayed closer to home in Velen.  It was just the relaxing point I needed at the midway section of my trip, with lots of nature, a beautiful castle in the town to visit, and some home-cooked meals, great company, and a chance to do laundry!  Thanks Berit and family for the great stay!

Cheese Shopping

Friend's Dining Room and Kitchen


 Garden


Velen Castle

My Morning Run




Selfie with the Kids



Feeding the Ducks at the Castle


Afternoon Snacks at the Castle


No comments:

Post a Comment