Monday, May 4, 2015

Around the World With Starwood Hotels in 30 Days - Day 25 Hotel Bristol Vienna

     After my short ten minute walk from the Sheraton in Salzburg to the train station I popped in to the OBB First Class Lounge at the Salzburg Train Station.  I am not sure how old the station is but it looks brand new, very large, and modern, certainly not what I remember from years ago but I could be wrong.  The lounge was quite nice with coffee, tea and croissants being served.  Wine and beer glasses were out but no actual wine and beer available that I could see but it had only just turned noon.  I had a quick slice of cake (this cake and coffee thing becoming a bad habit) and then took the escalator right next door to the train which pulled in and minutes later we were on our way.  It was back on the OBB Railjet and this time the wifi was fully functioning so I was able to get some work done and write a little. 

Arriving in Vienna I opted to give Uber Vienna a try, having been deprived of the service throughout Germany where it had recently been banned.  The driver was fifteen minutes away but I wandered around the impressive station until he arrived.  Apparently for Uber Black you need to have new Mercedes E-Class cars or better in Vienna so it was a very nice ride though the traffic was a nightmare with the legalize marijuana rally being held.  We made it to the hotel via a round about way (only 18 Euros for the Uber after twenty minutes in the car) and immediately I was impressed.  I had not planned on visiting Vienna on my trip, having seen the city previously and instead I had prepared for a few extra days in Bratislava and Budapest.  However, when I read an article in Town and Country Travel Magazine’s Spring/Summer 2015 edition, I realized I needed a second look.  The article raved about the re-opening of the Luxury Collection Hotel’s Imperial and Bristol, so I decided I would make an extra stop after all.  With the strong US dollar the high prices were no longer as prohibitive as they had been months earlier.  I was torn between the two properties, but in the end I chose the Bristol, the Imperial still averages $470.00 US, and the Bristol at $320.00 seemed slightly more reasonable though I had gotten accustomed to these 95 Euro nights across Europe.  Falling under SPG’s Luxury Collection banner I was excited to see what the hotel had to offer.  

     I had no idea it would be as opulent a hotel as it was once I had arrived.  Sometimes exceptionally fancy hotels can be rude and pretentious, here I was welcomed right away with warmth and genuine interest in where I was coming from, where I was going, and what I wanted to see while I was in the city.  I was given an upgrade I had been hoping for throughout my trip, a Penthouse, okay a Junior Penthouse, but still it was very impressive.  The room was large especially for a city like Vienna, with the bed to the left with a large closet area and the toilet, a bidet and sink.  On the right was the sitting area and desk and the large shower and tub.  The best part was the middle of the room which separated the two sections, a walk out terrace!  The view over the tops of the buildings and over the Opera House in Vienna was impressive.  I had not expected an iron or ironing board or coffee machine and they were not to be found, but I did have a wonderful welcome amenity - more chocolate and a nice welcoming note, along with some sparkling water and apples.  I of course ate the chocolate.  There was also a dedicated North American plug in which I have never seen in Europe, power fully restored!

I headed out on a long walk around the city with my map in hand, walking through the flea market first, then through the museums, and then along by the university where I ran right into the marijuana rally.  After a bit of a contact high having to cross through the massive rally I kept going and cut through the shopping streets to the Stephen’s Church.  The crowds were massive so I just kept going until I made it back to the hotel, poking my head into the neighboring Meridien and Hotel Imperial.  The Meridien looked just like a W Hotel in the US, and while I am a fan of W’s for resorts, I prefer something a little more business like in a city hotel.  They were evidently hosting an AIDS benefit soon, and the entire city was gearing up for the EuroVision Song Contest.  The Meridien looked nice, almost in the same location as the Bristol, just slightly up the road and it was certainly the choice for the younger crowd.  From there I walked the few blocks to the Imperial, which looked very similar to the Bristol.  I stopped by outside the hotel to have a curry-wurst since I had been dreaming of one since I had arrived in Europe and my trip was almost over.  I made it back to the room with plans to go out but after a drink in the richly decorated bar I returned to my room to find the large screen outside of the Opera House playing the performance from inside and blasting it over the speakers.  I sat and had a beer on my balcony watching the performance and the people standing and sitting in seats watching from the courtyard below.  After the performance I quickly passed out.

The next morning I woke up naturally and it turned out it was just in time to see the sunrise from the terrace.  I went right off to go get Starbucks next door and follow around much of the walk I had done the previous day this time without the crowds.  What I added this time was a quick walk along the river, looking at the impressive graffiti and the ‘beach’ area.  My next Uber driver later told me that unlike Budapest where everything is centered along the Danube, in Vienna the river is not such a focus for the town except when the weather is nice.  I saw the high seeped boats that whisked you to Bratislava, but I would be taking the train once again for that section of the trip.  I made it back to the hotel after an hour and fifteen minutes, showered, and went right to breakfast.  The lobby is beautiful in the hotel as is the bar and the hallways, filled with amazing artwork, and the restaurant was equally wonderful.  It had the similar fair offered in the SPG properties with German style breakfast mixed with eggs, bacon, and sausage, as well as juices and fruits and an omelet station as well.  The china everything was served on was beautiful as well. 

After breakfast I headed out on another walk to see the Vienna Museum first.  It had just opened for the morning but as it was the first Sunday of the month and entry was free the building was packed, even just twenty minutes after opening.  I stayed for a few minutes and sadly left, it was just too crazy inside.  I made my way from there throughout the beautiful gardens of the Belvedere Palace but skipped the Palace itself, again huge crowds.  I kept going through the next little park and found the main train station just off to the right, and off to the left was the Armory building and the amazing Military Museum.  This had to be the most amazing museum I had ever seen on World War 1 artifacts, with older items predating that an also World War II artifacts as well.  It had not dawned on me that of course Vienna would have the car that Archduke Franz Ferdinand was shot in thus leading (in part) to the start of the First World War, as well as his uniform, but there they were.  There were many items as well as paintings and artwork by soldiers and I could have spent a great deal more time there but I head to retrace my steps and get back to the hotel.  I went for a quick hour cardio workout in the gym with stunning views out over the Opera House though I skipped weights since once again it was a maximum of 10 kg weights here.  I had a quick shower after that and then jumped in my next Uber back to the train station.
     Vienna is an amazing city with stunning buildings, architecture, and museums.  It is very crowded with tourists and locals alike, and as with many larger European cities everything costs slightly more here.  The first Sunday of the month was both a blessing and a curse as the museums were free but packed.  All of the Starwood properties looked good, but Opera on your Penthouse Terrace, I do not know how you can beat that!  The Bristol was an amazing stay and I highly recommend a visit.



OBB Lounge 

Giant Beer on Railjet



Bristol Hotel Vienna Elevator

Bristol Hotel Vienna Bathroom

Bristol Hotel Vienna Desk Area

Bristol Hotel Vienna Sitting Area

Bristol Hotel Vienna Bed

Bristol Hotel Vienna Second Bathroom Area

Terrace Bristol Hotel Vienna


View Bristol Hotel Vienna

Posted Room Rate Bristol Hotel Vienna (I paid considerably less)

Welcome Amenity Bristol Hotel Vienna

Chandelier Bristol Hotel Vienna

Gym Bristol Hotel Vienna

Gym Bristol Hotel Vienna

Hallway Artwork Bristol Hotel Vienna

Restaurant Bristol Hotel Vienna

Lobby Bristol Hotel Vienna

Entry Way to Rooms Bristol Hotel Vienna

Clock in Lobby Bristol Hotel Vienna

Exterior Bristol Hotel Vienna



Vienna



Vienna


Vienna


Vienna

Vienna



Vienna

Stephen's Church Vienna

Le Meridien Vienna

Bar Le Meridien Vienna

Restaurant Le Meridien Vienna

Lobby Le Meridien Vienna

Bar at Hotel Imperial Vienna

Lobby at Hotel Imperial Vienna 


Currywurst Outside Bristol Hotel Vienna

Entry to Bristol Hotel Vienna at Night

Bar Bristol Hotel Vienna

Nightview from Terrace Bristol Hotel Vienna

Opera on Screen Bristol Hotel Vienna

Turndown Service Bristol Hotel Vienna


Opera on Screen Later in Night Bristol Hotel Vienna
Sunrise from Terrace Bristol Hotel Vienna

Sunrise from Terrace Bristol Hotel Vienna

High Speed Boat to Bratislava

Graffiti Art Walkway at River Vienna

A Beach in Vienna!



Interior Stephen's Church Vienna


Breakfast Bristol Hotel Vienna

Homemade Jams Bristol Hotel Vienna

Breakfast Bristol Hotel Vienna

Bellevue Palace Vienna


Armory Vienna

Car Archduke Shot in at the Military Museum Vienna

Uniform Archduke Shot in at the Military Museum Vienna


World War 1 Plane Car , Military Museum Vienna

Artillery Military Museum Vienna


Older Weapons at the Military Museum Vienna

Ceiling Military Museum Vienna


Remains of U-Boat Military Museum Vienna

Tanks Military Museum Vienna

Tank Military Museum Vienna


No comments:

Post a Comment